PHP Classes

Excellent work, sir - this has saved a huge amount of effort.

Recommend this page to a friend!

PHP HTTP protocol client  >  All threads  >  Excellent work, sir - this has saved...  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Excellent work, sir - this has saved...
Summary:Package rating comment
Author:Ken
Date:2008-09-08 13:53:46
Update:2008-09-09 03:10:16

Ken rated this package as follows:

Utility: Good
Consistency: Good
Examples: Good
Unit tests: Good

1. Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Ken Ken - 2008-09-08 13:53:47
Excellent work, sir - this has saved a huge amount of effort.

The only inconsistency I have found is that it seems to work well on "normal" http port, but cannot connect on 8080 for a Tomcat server. Am I missing something obvious?

2. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-09-08 14:22:55 - In reply to message 1 from Ken
If it cannot connect to that server, something is preventing it. Maybe it is a firewall in the middle. Without seeing the error that it is returning, it is hard to tell what can be the problem.

3. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Ken Ken - 2008-09-08 19:14:52 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
That's my assumption, as well. I just wanted to be sure that there was no "oh, yeah, do X to talk to 8080" solution :)

the post call returns a standard 110 "could not connect". When a file is sent from a test form to the same address, it completes.

Also tried altering the user-agent string to a Mozilla string and the referrer to a url on the same server.

When submitted to a test application on several other servers at port 80 (apache), works perfectly.

Thanks for your help

4. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-09-08 22:31:56 - In reply to message 3 from Ken
That seems to be a connection timeout usually cause by a firewall discarding connection request packets. So, you should not be able to connect to that port while the firewall is blocking it.

5. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Ken Ken - 2008-09-08 23:32:38 - In reply to message 4 from Manuel Lemos
I have been telling them that for quite a while, but since this simplistic application does not involve at least 2 frameworks, 40 extraneous XML files and 100 compilation/deployment-steps, why would anyone believe the obvious? :)

6. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-09-09 02:00:47 - In reply to message 5 from Ken
BTW, I am not familiar with Tomcat, but are you sure it takes requests via HTTP protocol? If not, it does not make sense to use this class and they could explain why the server would not respond and connections time out.

7. Re: Excellent work, sir - this has saved...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Ken Ken - 2008-09-09 03:10:16 - In reply to message 6 from Manuel Lemos
Jakarta/Tomcat is the Java-Sever-Page version of "real" Apache - an abomination, imho..

BTW - the receiving app was moved to a new server, without ancient legacy firewall security policies in place, and *amazingly* it worked first time.. Thank you again for your help :)